How To Keep Your Dog Cool Through The Summer
The weather in UAE during the summer can be extremely uncomfortable for all of us, but when it comes to your dog the weather in UAE can be much more dangerous.
With the extreme UAE temperatures, it is important for dog owners to take extra measures to ensure that their dog is comfortable, but most importantly to avoid any chance for a heatstroke in your dog. Heatstroke is a condition where the internal body temperature rises to a level that can cause permanent damage or even death. The symptoms of heatstroke are listed below:
● Excessive Drooling ● Collapsing
● Vomiting ● Increased heart rate
● Extreme thirst
● Excessive and loud panting
● Losing energy, feeling tired
5 STEPS IN HOW TO KEEP YOUR DOG COOL:
- Walk your dog during the cooler part of the day (early morning or late evening). You must be very careful if your dog is overweight and/or suffers from breathing difficulties, as this can increase risk of heatstroke.
- Make sure your dog has access to fresh clean water during your walks.
- Avoid hot sand, concrete, asphalt areas where heat is reflected and there is no access to shade.
- Always be mindful of your dog’s paws. During the summer pavements can become so hot they can burn your dog’s paws. Check the pavement with your own hand first before you let your dog walk on it. Try the “seven second test”, if it is too hot for your touch for longer than seven seconds, it is too hot for your dog’s paws.
- Protect your dog’s skin from sunburn by using sun cream on their exposed areas such as the tips of their ears and nose. Avoid direct sunlight as much as you can.
- Avoid exercising your dog in hot weather.